Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Natural Childbirth: How Morally Superior Does It Make You?

I is done had some young ‘uns and now that Ed is havin’ a young ‘un, I now feel as though I’ve been invited, albeit indirectly, to share my feelings about natural childbirth. And just so you know, I stole the title from The Onion.

Childbirth...a natural process, as old as our species itself! Can anyone imagine anything more wholesome and earth-friendly than birthing at home, in one’s bed (or on a bed of straw in, say, a stable), perhaps with the assistance of a wizened matron or two? Maybe the straining mother-to-be is practicing hypno-birthing, reaching deep within her consciousness to find the inner peace that will sweep her away from the pain and into a euphoric mental meadow of birthing bliss. Maybe, after a reasonable period of howls and pants, a tired smile spreads across the happy mother’s face as the healthy baby cries for the first time and is placed upon her welcoming breast to suckle its first drink of life. Or maybe everyone dies. Oh, wait...that can’t happen, right? I mean, not if it’s natural...

I live in a place where you’re considered a total failure of a mother if you did not manage to birth your baby without any painkilling drugs or medical intervention. Well, OK, maybe “total failure” is a bit strong, but without a doubt, there is an unspoken sentiment of “you must not really care about your child if you poisoned your body with all those drugs” that radiates from what I think is actually a minority of loud, womb-thumping women. These are the women who start “ban the bags” campaigns to try to pass laws prohibiting formula companies from giving out free samples. They’re mothers who will spend $24.95 for 4 ounces of all-natural, food-grade sun block for their children and who use slings, for heaven’s sake, and not bjorns for their 24-hour-a-day baby-wearing. And, as long as I’ve pushed the stereotype this far, I might as well throw in that they probably assume their baby is gifted. Anyway, these are the women who make the uncertain, expecting, first-time mothers feel guilty for wanting an epidural and dammit, that’s just not right.

Part of it is the term, “natural,” that gets me, as though “natural” is inherently superior. Let’s think of a few natural things...carrots (not bad) and bees (they’re cool) and ticks (well, hm, ticks must be valuable as food for something), and malaria and rabbits eating their babies when they feel threatened and mother cats inbreeding with their son cats (happened in my own house!) and hot lava that’s no longer in our molten core and leprosy...certainly, they’re all facets of nature, but are they all preferable to a human-made alternative? Of course not. Why should childbirth be any different?

And let’s think of other things that can be done “naturally.” Like amputation – haven’t we all seen some movie where a Civil War soldier takes a messy swig of whiskey and pops a branch in his mouth before the doc saws off the leg? Our how about a double mastectomy? John Adams’s poor daughter had a “natural” double mastectomy to slice away the cancer that would eventually kill her. I’d like to see a womb-thumper choose that option.

The point is that there’s no shame in pain relief. There is no badge of merit handed out to those of us who endured the most pain while pushing out a baby. Millions of healthy babies have been born to happily numb mothers and have gone on to do great things in life. And, frankly, the birth is about the tiniest, least significant part of having a kid, so go ahead and have that young ‘un, Ed, even “naturally,” if the pain really floats your boat. But for chrissakes, if you want the epidural, just say so, and with relish. Because you, yes, you! have the power to stop the pain! And then take your Vicodin for your recovery pain. And drink your stout beer to enhance your milk supply. And then drink some wine to make the baby sleep all night. Happy parenting!

6 comments:

emily said...

oooooh..don't even get me started on the logical fallacy that is the "natural" argument. Once I thought about writing a post on it, but then decided that I'm too lazy and rusty with writing skills to write a whole post about anything.
Not to get too graphic here, but I was interested in natural childbirth for a little while (not that I am having children any time soon) because I am terrified of the cutting and tearing involved in giving birth and I had heard that it occurs because the epidural numbs you and you push too hard. But now that my grad school friends (not high school or college yet, which is interesting) are having babies and I have someone to talk to about their private parts, I don't even know if that's actually true. My one friend didn't tear, but was in labor for 40 hours and really regretted not getting drugs, and then another arrived at the hospital too late for an epidural, yelled at everyone for 20 minutes to give her drugs, and said that labor was so terrible that she pushed really hard just to get it over with and didn't care about tearing (she tore in 2 places). So far I haven't heard any really encouraging endorsements for natural childbirth. Except from my mother, but her memory is notoriously bad. I think you need to ask women a week after giving birth, not 31 years.

Amy Mancini said...

Yes, it's best to beware of any one assumption. I'd never heard the tearing-because-you-push-too-hard rumor but I can say that I'd rather tear when I can't feel it than when I can. And I'd rather be stitched up while numb, too. The cutting that used to be standard back in the day is out of vogue from what I heard.

I'm glad to see there's some support out there for the drugs...I feel confident, Emily, that when the time comes, you will make the right choice for you. Which will be drugs. Not that I have an agenda or anything.

pettigrj said...

I would assume that proponents of natural childbirth also refuse to drive cars, unless there's a Prius tree native to suburbia that I don't know about, where the transmission is organically grown.

And really, what is "natural" anyway? Isn't plastic made from petroleum, and wasn't petroleum made from dead plants and dinosaurs? Totally organic!

As far as I know, humans can't fabricate new atoms yet (I don't actually know if that's true) - all we do is rearrange naturally occurring atoms and molecules into things like cars, epidurals, and happiness.

By the way, Amy, I love the term "womb-thumper". Very evocative.

Chris E. Keedei said...

I heartily endorse this post, though I'm coming to it a bit late. As I mentioned to Amy in person, this gets at what psychologists call the "naturalistic fallacy," in which people believe that everything natural is automatically good. Meanwhile, cyanide is very natural. Doesn't mean it's good for humans. Progress is possible, and nowhere is that more evident than in childbirth, which used to be a top killer of both women and babies.

At the same time, I sympathize with my granola-chewing womb-thumping brethren who want to question whether hospital childbirth is all that it can be. Too often doctors do resort to Caesarian sections when it isn't warranted, and yes, mothers can get shoddy, impersonal treatment in hospitals. But compare the two: rudeness vs. death. I'll choose rudeness.

Anyway, back to the larger issue: I'm afraid too many of the womb-thumpers have just traded one orthodoxy for another. I do think the liberal orthodoxy has a better batting average overall than any other. But unfortunately, no orthodoxy ever ends up working out because life works on a case-by-case basis. You have to examine and evaluate each issue separately. You can't just reflexively believe what other similar-minded folk tell you. You have to enter each issue with as unbiased a perspective as possible, and be open to conflicting evidence that might make you reassess your preconceptions. Don't be afraid to change your mind -- "flip-flopping" is perfectly legitimate when situations change or new evidence is discovered. Don't get your ego involved in your beliefs. Don't believe something just to stay part of a pack.

My wisdom thus imparted, I know end this post. Go with grace.

Chris E. Keedei said...

... and then I continue it. It occurred to me that a central part of my philosophy, which I just invented from whole cloth, and no one has ever thought of before, is being OK with doubt. To continually question your beliefs means being OK with always having a little bit of doubt about whether they're really true. And I don't think most people are OK with that. All evidence to the contrary, I like to think that I'm open to any idea, if the evidence is there. But then there's the question of what is deemed sufficient evidence, which is subjective ... and it goes on and on.

emily said...

Yes! Yes! I heartily agree with my like-minded brethren! More and more I find myself becoming a relativist, which is actually kind of annoying. Sometimes, I catch myself arguing points I don't really believe or care about just because someone has made a knee jerk statement (which I sometimes even agree with). I've turned into that annoying philosophy major from my freshman dorm!