Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Nerdiness Scale

Nerd culture is thriving like never before. There was a time when, if you were a nerd, you only had physics experiments or "Lord of the Rings" to keep you entertained. Now there are dozens of TV channels containing nothing but nerd-friendly content. It is truly a golden age for Nerdish-Americans.

I've posted before about the differences between nerds, geeks, and dorks, so I won't go into that debate, hotly contested as it is within Nerdic America. Here I'm more interested in the degrees of nerdiness of various things. There is a spectrum, you see, from 1 (not at all nerdy) to 10 (holy cow, your comic book collection is about to topple over and bury you alive).

Let's take an example. I think we can all agree that "Star Trek" is pretty nerdy. Indeed, it's a sort of standard-bearer for Nerd culture, a touchstone by which people of other social strata are first exposed to the rich diversity of nerdania. But is it nerdier than "Babylon 5"? Ha ha (snort) ha ha -- yeah right, and Captain Pike had no ill effects from delta ray radiation on that J-class training ship! Ha ha (snort) ha ha ... gasp ... oh dear ... I need my inhaler ...

Basically, "Star Trek" is less nerdy than "Babylon 5" because non-nerds can watch and enjoy "Star Trek." It has considerably more crossover appeal than other fields of nerdology. At the same time, nerds can indeed get extremely over-nerdulated about "Star Trek," as we all know. The immense strength of its Nerdic following has to keep its score pretty high.

That's basically how the scale works -- you have to look at the balance between crossover appeal and nerditorial fervor. With those two criteria in mind, "Star Trek" gets a 6 out of 10 on the Nerdiness Scale. "Babylon 5" is easily a 9.

So, here are some other judgements:
Bold
"Star Wars": 4. As with "Star Trek," you can get extremely nerdified over "Star Wars." But I submit that "Star Wars" has more crossover appeal than "Star Trek," and has a smaller Nerdic subculture. Of course, comparing the "Star Trek" nerdiverse to "Star Wars"'s is a bit like saying Jessica Simpson is dumber than Paris Hilton -- you're talking about the two titans of their field. But "Star Trek" was the groundbreaker, and still the champion.

Now if you start talking about the "Star Wars" sub-subculture, the books and graphic novels and Web sites exploring Greedo's relationship with his mother or Darth Maul's favorite breakfast cereal, well, then you're getting into primo nerditacularity, possibly a 9 or 10.

"Doctor Who": 8. That's the score in the States, that is. In Britain, it gets probably a 5. In the States, you have to be a pretty hard-core Nerdist to watch "Doctor Who." I'm happy to say to say my particular nerdicacity stops at around a 6 or so, so I have never seen "Doctor Who."

"Doctor Who" has many factors pushing it in to top-flight, high-yield, weapons-grade, light sweet crude nerdilocity:

  1. It's British. (Nerdites are often Anglophiles.)
  2. It's on PBS. (related to no. 1)
  3. It's sci-fi.
  4. It's laughably cheap-looking sci-fi (as I am led to believe, anyway. I haven't seen it, remember? OK, once. But I only watched it because the Doctor's female hanger-on was real hot, and I was 13, and I would've watched an cat strangling competition if a hot chick was involved.)
"Monty Python": 5. As with "Star Trek" and "Star Wars," there's plenty of crossover appeal here. And it's not sci-fi, which lowers its score considerably.

But it has never really reached the mainstream masses in the States the way the two Star empires have. "Monty Python" crosses over not to Joe Sixpack and Jane Peoplemagazinereader but to Professor Van Nostrand and Chuckles McSlappy (a.k.a. smarties and comedians). That pushes it a bit higher on the scale.

My wife put this one best. She says that post-pubescent unathletic boys tend to go apeshit for "Monty Python" (particularly "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," of course). That's usually a prime sign of Grade-A nerdiciousness. But then many of those boys grow up to be relative non-nerds, maybe 3s or 4s on the scale. And there isn't a huge "Monty Python" nerdastic subculture -- there's not much in the way of fan fiction or action figure trading or sexual fantasies about Carol Cleveland. So that knocks it back a few points. The middle is a good place for it.

"Dungeons and Dragons": 10. I'm sorry, but D&D is really the ne plus ultra of nerdturbation. There's really no aspect that crosses over to legitimate society. There was a TV show once, I think, and some terrible movies that no one but the Nerdeviks saw. Really, the only way you can participate in Dungeons and Dragons is to take out some 20-sided dice, call yourself Mokdur the Impaler, buy some pewter figures of half-orcs, and let the nerdescence burst out of you like a primal scream.

And the nerdalaxy for D&D is massive and fervent. There are entire stores devoted to it, stores that may even be in your neighborhood and you don't even know it. They usually pose as normal storefronts, but if you innocently waltz in seeking out a nice lathe or some liquid aspartame, you will get suspicious and unfriendly looks from the shady, shifty-eyed characters shuffling within. You quickly get the hint, depart quietly, and immediately after you close the door behind you, you get the distinct feeling that a rumbling, growling mob has suddenly re-emerged from the shadows to light upon each other with adamantine battleaxes and Spells of Necrotic Termination.

I admit that I have met a few D&D adherents. I would never, of course, reveal their identities. It is their choice whether or not to come out of the closet and undergo the inevitable repercussions from a world that refuses to accept their lifestyles. I can only support them and hope that some day, somewhere, a society will be born that will permit grown men to freely and openly attack each other's Breastplates of Kaltar with the Orbs of Negative Energy that they have spent ther lives accumulating.

So that's the basic idea of the Nerdiness Scale. What other Nerdiflabiflubilations would you bring up, and where would you put them on the scale?

11 comments:

Amy Mancini said...

Well, having associated with many nerds in my life, probably including myself, and then married one, I figure I ought to have something to say, here.

First, I think the Star Trek scale should probably be divided between its shows. The original: 7. The Next Generation: 4 or 5. Any of the Others: 9.5.

Board games are a good one for the ol' nerdometer. If you play games like Cranium and The Simpsons Monopoly, your nerdliness is about a 1. Regular Monopoly with Free Parking money, a 2. Regular Monopoly without Free Parking money, you zip up to a 6. If you stray into The Settlers of Catan, you're up to a 7 and if you let yourself drift into Power Grid, Diplomacy, or Caylus, then, frankly, you're a 10.

By a truly amazing coincidence, as I type this, I am eating Nerds, probably for the first time in about 17 years. This is no joke.

pettigrj said...

I completely agree with Amy that the different iterations of Star Trek need to be rated separately. I also think she got the numbers about right.

My two additions to the list would be Myst and the Lord of the Rings (briefly mentioned in the post). I'd put Myst at about 8 or 9, mainly because I have no idea how it works, other than I think of it as sort of Dungeons & Dragons-y.

I'd put TLOTR (or whatever the acronym is) at like a 5 or 6. Much like Star Wars, it's enjoyed by non-fanatics. But on the other hand, there are people who do their wedding vows in Elvish.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Monty Python. My gut tells me it's not nerdy, but I don't know why. I think there might be a separate category for movie quotes that taps into an adolescent boy's brain somehow. Other than being British, though, I don't know what the difference is between the Holy Grail and Caddyshack or Back to the Future, neither one of which tends especially nerdward. Maybe things like that are more dorky than nerdy (not to open that can of nomenclatural debate)?

Maybe the difference is there has to be some familiarity or identification with some fake universe or society to really be nerdy. If you say, "We are the knights who say NEEP! Fetch us a shubbery!" in a silly voice, and laugh at your own tremendous comedic prowess, you are a dork. If you own a Klingon-English dictionary, or can draw a reasonable map of Narnia from memory, you are a nerd.

If you write a Klingon-Elvish dictionary, by the way, you are THE nerd. Of all time.

Chris E. Keedei said...

Excellent points about the different Star Treks. Keep in mind that original Star Trek has huge crossover appeal, though. I'd say it has to be a 6. Next Generation deserves a 5, partly because it's SUCH a better show (OK, that's not really part of the rankings, but it is. I tried to get through all the original Star Treks once, but gave up because they were just too cheesy. Next Generation, on the other hand, is (mostly) a very well-written drama, with realistic characters and relatively little of the alien-screwing and gratuitous fistfights you saw in the original. But anyway.)

Board games are worth a whole 'nother post. Amy's on to something there.

As for Monty Python -- it wouldn't even be on the scale if it weren't for the fact that nerds seem to just love it (myself included), and, as I say, Joe Sixpack and Jane Peoplemagazinereader are like "I don't get it! Let's just watch 'Two and Half Men.'" Think of someone who's not nerdy at all -- your parents, maybe. Would they enjoy Monty Python? Maybe it suffers from nerdiness by association, then.

Amy Mancini said...

TLOTR, which I have now internalized as "telotter," should probably be categorized, here. Books, 9. Movie, 5 or 6 as Joe suggests.

I have been wanting to pay some loving homage to Star Trek TNG for some time. I'm glad to see, Ed, that you feel the same way.

Monty Python totally belongs on the Nerdiness scale. I mean, can you imagine anyone in Caddyshack pointing out that nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition? Actually, I've never seen Caddyshack, but even so, I just can't imagine the Bill Murray character even getting that many syllables out.

I played Myst for about 5 minutes before I got frustrated and bored and drifted away. I don't know what that makes me.

One last thing: a good friend of ours spent a fair amount of his free time learning all the prime numbers between 1 and 1000. If that don't calculate nerd, I don't know what does...

pettigrj said...

I'm still not sold on Monty Python's nerdiciousness. It may very well attract a large percentage of the nerd market, but I don't think it's because of its nerdishness.

First, while it may not have crossed over quite the way that Star Wars did, there is a Monty Python Broadway musical, which seems pretty mainstream to me.

And maybe Caddyshack is a bad comparison. I'd put Monty Python more in the same category as the Marx Brothers: zany, wacky, quasi-intellectual, respectably anti-establishment. But I don't think of the Marx Brothers as particularly nerdful. And I know non-nerds who like both of those.

Monty Python might be an example of smart humor happening to intersect with nerd humor. If you were to draw a Venn diagram, Frasier would be in the smart circle, sciencehumor.org would be in the nerd circle, and Monty Python would be in the intersection.

Caddyshack is probably more like the Three Stooges. There is still some overlap with Monty Python, but at the opposite end of the nerd zone. A more apt analogy might be Monty Python:Caddyshack::Marx Brothers:Three Stooges.

emily said...

This is really hard. I keep wavering on all my opinions because you all raise such good points about nerds. I do think Monty Python is a bit nerdy, mostly because it is British, which makes it seem more intellectual than perhaps it really is. I don't think it is inherently more nerdy than Caddyshack, the Jerk, or Airplane (based on watching Freaks and Geeks, these were popular movies for nerds to quote), but Monty Python has somehow lasted the test of time. I think the key to its nerdiness is how it is continuously rediscovered by 13-year olds who think they have really unique, sophisticated senses of humor (I was totally guilty of this).
There is also a whole realm of nerd culture in computer and video games that I have really been actively ignoring. I know that lots of people love World of Warcraft and it sucks them into a dark world of nerdiness.

Chris E. Keedei said...

I think you guys are making these judgments based on slightly different criteria than I am. You're often looking for an inherent nerdiness in each cultural item, while I'm looking only at the extent to which the item has been embraced by nerds vs. the embrace by the mainstream. A spoon could be nerdy if nerds started fangroups over spoons, by my way of looking at it.

It's the same way many psychologists conceive of mental illness. It's a mental illness not because it fits some exterior defintion of what constitutes mental illness. It's a mental illness if it's a mental/emotional condition that is preventing the person from living the life he/she wants. Much the same way, nerdiness is defined by what nerds like, not by any external standard that can be applied to the cultural object in question.

Which I suppose begs the question -- what constitutes a nerd? Well, you are. Ha! You walked right into that one, non-existent interlocutor.

emily said...

I agree with you, but there has to be a reason things are embraced by nerds, and that is often the elusive nerdiness factor we are looking for. Sometimes I think things that are labeled as nerdy by mainstream society are only then embraced by nerds, i.e. nerd-related interests are actually defined by this rejection by the mainstream and not the other way around. Which is why I think Monty Python is a bit nerdy. I think 20 years ago, British humor and shows on PBS were rejected by mainstream culture as too intellectual, and it was then embraced by nerds. Maybe my perspective is skewed by my mom's love of all things British and PBS-y, and I don't really know what mainstream society was thinking at the time at all.

steph said...

I'd like to say that I don't think Monty Python is nerdy, but that could be b/c Joe and I spent a lot of time watching it and learning it by heart when we were younger. And I refuse to be a nerd!

Also, if people can quote the Hangover, with "Tigers love pepper; they hate cinammon" then I think 'No one expects the Spanish Inquisition' is quite alright...

Anonymous said...

Dungeons and Dragons cannot be a 10. Simply because there is a super nerdy extreme to D&D (pen and paper) which is when those nerds dress in costumes and act out their fantasy role playing in "Live Action Role Playing" or LARPing. That is several levels of nerdiness above simply sitting around a kitchen table and rolling dice.

bgscrabble said...

On the subject of board games, I would be interested in hearing your ratings and opinions on two of my favorite games - scrabble and backgammon. I play both competitively. Also, I have started geocaching. Which of those 3 is the nerdiest?