Thursday, October 22, 2009

I Made a Palindrome!

Stab for a car of bats!

This is especially exciting for me because this is a phrase I use all the time! When I exhort people to stab things, I often dangle the incentive of a car full of bats. I can't believe that I never realized it was a palindrome before!

OK, it's not the most sensical palindrome ever. The all-time best, for my money, is "A man, a plan, a canal - Panama." Another famous one is "Able was I ere I saw Elba." But I never liked that one because every word is a word that is a palindrome of another word -- there are no long sequences where you're like, "wait, is that actually a palindrome?"Anyone can do one of these every-word-is-a-palindrome palindromes ... let's see ... "We flog racecar golf, ew!" See? Lame.

When I was in high school, a friend and I would try to make palindromes in our spare time. (We were the coolest kids on school, obviously. We also made flip books of the Large Marge scene in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure." Instead of say, dating. I look back on those days with absolutely no nostalgia.) But we never came up with anything even as good as the bat-stabbing one. They were always more like "Have a kumquat, Tauqmukaevah!" And then we'd explain that Tauqmukaevah was a fellow who liked kumquats. I think we might have tried this for a day or two before we gave up.

So what do YOU think of my awesome palindrome? Remember, your comment must be in the form of a palindrome.

9 comments:

pettigrj said...

Def one, pen of Ed!

Chris E. Keedei said...

Holy crap, you actually did respond in the form of a palindrome. Uh ... hue Mord nil a pa, Fom Rofehtn id no P.S., er, did Yllautcau, oy par Cy Loh.

emily said...

'tis poopie; I poops it!

Chris E. Keedei said...

That is an awesome one! Uh ... (sigh) gihshuenoemosewanasitaht.

pettigrj said...

Non-palindromic comment, or rather a comment on palindromes not in palindromic form:

My new favorite comedian is Demetri Martin. I've always liked his humor, but now I know he is an amazing palindromist. Behold for yourselves: http://www.slate.com/id/2101150/sidebar/2101387/ent/2101353/

Tell me that's not the best thing you've read this week.

Chris E. Keedei said...

Wow. That is amazing. OK, I'm not so proud of my pansy-ass little palindrome any more. I'm ashamed of it.

Amy Mancini said...

You know, Ed, that palindrome poem is pretty awesome, but if "stab for a car of bats" where somewhere in there, I guess right in the middle (or else it wouldn't work), it would only be better. And, ultimately, make more sense.

When I was in high school, I was in the band, which played at games. We drummers had some sort of chant and drumbeat for every time the scores made a palindrome. Yeah, that's why band was so cool.

pettigrj said...

Here's a celebrity palindrome I made. Guess who it's about.

"Hey all, I saw Wasilla! Yeh!"

Chris E. Keedei said...

Wow, that is a wonderful palindrome! I acknowledge it thusly, and by extension, your palindromic genius.